Social psychological research in physical activity for health promotion and disease prevention
This research area is focused upon:
- Understanding social psychological factors and processes that influence physical activity in multiple areas: sport; health promotion, disease prevention, rehabilitation.
- Using our understanding of these factors to influence and sustain change in performance; adherence to interventions, physical function, motivation, self- management.
- Examining populations such as youth to older adults; sport teams; individuals with chronic disease and physical disability such as arthritis, cardiovascular risk, multiple sclerosis; physical activity and health providers such as coaches, doctors, therapists, counselors, educators
- Studies about the breadth of social factors affecting and influenced by individuals, small groups (e.g., teams, exercise classes), reference groups (e.g., students, seniors parents, disabled)
- How this knowledge can be translated into social-behavioural change technologies for use at the level of programs serving people in diverse populations.
Researches in Social Psychology